Thursday, July 22, 2010

Peru: The Images









We're back in San Jose. Not that I don't already have enough cravings, but I will now add a good Pisco Sour, Causas, and amazing Ceviche to my list. The cuisine in Peru was incredibly fresh, new and always surprising, but I am happy to be back in the kitchen with a new found inspiration and a beautiful Peruvian cookbook.

Here are some short descriptions of the photos above:

Mmmm. Llama. These native people spent much of their day trying to convince us to "buy" a picture with them and their livestock of choice. I snuck this one in for free, sorry lady.

These pigs begin the series of meat photos. I guarantee these pigs were not stuffed into some 2,000 sow building without fresh air or proper room to move around. They probably had the pleasure of being surrounded by the Andes, peacefully rolling in the dry dusty earth. It didn't smell as bad as it looks, and there were minimal flies buzzing about the hanging meat. The 3rd image is of the skinned frogs. The black tube like structures to the left are butterfly larva, which are apparently fried and consumed. I would have liked to have tried those!

Oh corn and potatoes! The International Potato Center in Lima lists over 2000 known species. They come in a fascinating variety of colors and shapes. Potatoes were a staple of the ancient Peruvian culture and continue to be today. Corn is also a fundamental ingredient, with Choclo being my personal favorite. Its large, light-yellow kernels were often added to stews, fish, and ceviche.

Remember how I said I seemed to have arrived at the market during nap time? Here is the proof.

This is a famous and delicious Causa. A Causa is a cooked and cooled mashed yellow potato, topped with goodies from the sea and the occasional avocado concoction. My boss David referred to them as "potato bombs" (as they were sometimes heavy and filling) but I grew to love them. They were a great first course and Peru's fresh seafood was always the star. This particular one was served with 2 different sauces on the side. The purple one seen in the foreground was fantastic: a creamy black olive sauce that I'm dying to investigate.

Next blog coming soon: In the kitchen with Miss Diva Niva Smith.