Monday, January 9, 2012

Luxury Item


I just returned from a fabulous weekend in Red Lodge, Montana.  This quaint little mountain town not only boasted lovely buildings and shops, but is just a short drive from some decent skiing.  Turns out it's much more enjoyable when you've got battery heated boots.

A friend recommended a stop in Babcock and Miles, a fantastic specialty food store who's contents could have easily resulted in late payment of my student fees for the spring semester.  After some deep breathing, I settled on some Pomegranate Molasses, a product I've been searching months for.  Which brings me to another question about sustainability, how often can luxury trump local? 

This molasses, produced in Lebanon, is one of many products I enjoy that will never be produced in Montana.  Coffee, french bucheron, soy sauce, and raw nuts are just a few of the essential products I will never find local.  Even when sustainability is an important part of your consumer conscious, I believe it's okay to let loose.  Sometimes the health benefits outweigh the carbon footprint.  Sometimes you just can't be that fanatical of a locavore.  And sometimes, it just tastes soooo gooooood.

Like Pomegranate molasses, right?