Monday, June 18, 2012

Smitten with Rhubarb

Lots and lots of things happened in my kitchen last weekend.  It all started with finally catching up with one of my favorite blogs.  I met (virtually) the blogs author through an email reference for a nanny gig in Costa Rica. I took the job, and a year later moved to her hometown.  During that year abroad, I also met her father, but never her!  Someday we'll meet in non-digital terms, I just know it. 

So she has mentioned the food blog Smitten Kitchen a few times.  I had heard of it before, but like I really need another food blog to obsesses over?  Apparently so.    Late Friday afternoon, I decided that picking wild rhubarb from my friend's yard would count as working out.  3 hours of chopping and washing later, I had a severe case of knife hand.

I started out with the rhubarb snaking cake late Friday night.  It turned out to be so well written you can even make it after a few Friday night beers with friends.  I ate 25% of the cake before deciding to give the rest away... wouldn't want to ruin that Friday afternoon workout.  The rhubarb harvest also produced 5 jars of chutney, 17 pounds of frozen chunks, and 4 cups of stewed fruit with cherries.  So yum over ice cream.

Yesterday I went to town with the broccoli fritters and pizza crust.  I CANT STOP. 
So E.B... thanks.  Let your Dad know that my rhubarb chutney would go great with some Montana game.