Saturday, May 12, 2012

Thai hospital food

And this is what my breakfast looks like today.  I've spent yesterday afternoon and last night in the Chaing Mai hospital after an interesting night of stomach issues.  Enough said.  Most of yesterday was spent enjoying the cool tile floor of my bathroom at the Green Palace Hotel, but soon I realized that would not be enough to combat whatever demon had entered my body.

Our group was off visiting a National Park, so TukTuk arranged for a hospital car to come pick me up.  Can't say I smelled great.  I checked in and was wheeled into my room.  As soon as that IV was started I knew it was exactly what I needed.  The doctor (and my blood test) stated that I had picked up a bacterial infection from something.  Further tests of other bodily fluids will help reveal its origins.

The hospital culture in Thailand is interesting.  I've told 4 or 5 nurses my story and if I am allergic to medicine, etc.  When I was awoken at 6 am this morning for the same routine questions, I told the nurse I'd been asked them before.  She responded "Nurse not good at remembering details."  Fabulous.  Another pleasant surprise in the night was all the lights being turned on to take my blood pressure.  They were left on when the nurse was finished.  Awesome.

None the less, I am about ready to rock on out of here.  Luckily, no one else in our group is sick and they have all been incredibly supportive.  And, thanks to modern day wireless and skype, I've been able to connect with family at home.    The doc will come back in an hour to let me know my fate.  Fingers crossed I will be released today.  Thank goodness for travel insurance!